FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1. Who is eligible to use the Closet of Hope?
- Foster parents, adoptive parents, legal guardians and Safe Family parents shopping for the children (ages 0-18) legally living in their home (as evidenced by documentation requirements below): A photo I.D. is required at the initial intake visit AND each time you visit the Closet of Hope.
- Foster Care Agency Workers: Please show your agency name badge at each visit, in order to qualify to shop for children in your caseload.
- “Family Coaches” and “Family Friends” who are registered volunteers in the Safe Families for Children Program: Please show a photo I.D. at each visit in order to “shop” for children living in families you are supporting.
2. Am I able to send a friend, family member or other support person to “shop” for me?
This is handled on a case by case basis, with permission only from the Closet of Hope coordinator. You MUST contact us beforehand to make special arrangements: FOPClosetofHope@gmail.com or (text or call) 616-613-6770.
3. Is documentation required for eligibility at the Closet of Hope?
Yes, the intake process includes a short application, and copies of official documents are required for each child living in your home:
- If you’ve visited the Closet of Hope in the past but have never completed the intake process.
- If you’re a first-time visitor.
- For each new child living in your home since your last visit (an update form and required documentation for new children will be required).
Click here to download a CLOSET OF HOPE INTAKE FORM you can fill out online and print, which includes a list of required documents. (If you don't have access to a printer, we will have hard copies available at the Closet of Hope.)
4. What can I expect when I visit the Closet of Hope?
After the intake process (1st visit) or check-in (2nd visit and beyond), you will be able to “shop” for FREE gently used clothing for all of the children (ages newborn-18) living in your household. A provided checklist indicates the maximum number of items allowed for each child you are shopping for, which is a generous amount that allows for up to a full wardrobe of clothing for each child. Children placed into your home within the past two weeks are eligible for some additional items reserved for new placements (while supplies last).
5. How often can I visit the Closet of Hope?
- Eligible families WITH new child placement: You are welcome to visit each time you have a new child placed in your home.
- Eligible families WITHOUT new child placement: You are welcome to visit the Closet of Hope at season changes or when your child outgrows or wears out needed items of clothing. The Closet of Hope carries mid-weight clothing year around. Summer clothing becomes available in March and winter clothing becomes available in October. Please check our website for specific dates when we switch from Summer to Winter clothing.
Note: The Closet of Hope volunteers reserve the right to limit visits and items for any reason. Please refer to our posted guidelines and take only what you need for children (ages newborn to 18) living in your household.
6. Are parents/guardians and adult children allowed to shop for themselves at the Closet of Hope?